Wednesday, March 12, 2008

1st Year Dental Student's Perspective


The trip to Belize has been both exciting and frustrating; in the midst of this contrast the word that comes to the forefront of my mind would have to be... rewarding. The various disciplines involved with the program have all been able to work together to help the people of Redbank. In doing so, I think we have learned more about ourselves in the process than anything. It is wonderful how people with so few resources have been able to help those of us with so much. We, in the U.S. are truly rich beyond measure with regard to financial resources, whereas the people of Belize, and in particular the people of this small village, are rich beyond measure in their spirit. They are truly a content and happy people.

It has been great to help the people of Redbank with the various services that we've been able to provide (education, communication, justice, oral health, etc.). Seeing the various groups come together and serve along side one another has been truly exciting. I really enjoyed the opportunity to help with the profiling and educational endeavors. While profiling, I met a young man named Juan who is 19 years old. He is a native of Redbank and is currently going to the University of Belize to study Business Management and Tourism.

One of my most exciting experiences while here was working in the dental clinic. I feel as if I have learned more about dentistry in the past 48 hours than I have in the last 7 months. I have had the opportunity to do many injections of local anesthesia, as well as several extractions. Today is our last day in the clinic. I hope to get to opportunity to do at least one restoration, as well as several more injections and extractions.

The ISLP to Belize has truly been a blessing in my life. I am very thankful for this opportunity and look forward to returning in future years. The people of Belize have touched my life in a special way and I look forward to giving back to the people that have given so much to me.

Truly blessed,
Jay B. Burton

1 comment:

Overstreet said...

You people are amazing; I hope that the sparkle that is in your hearts shines throughout your days.
Just the fact that you are helping others and not “partying” on your Spring Break says a lot about you.