Monday, March 10, 2008

First Work Day Notes

"Beautiful, grateful, humble people." Matt Steuer

"I enjoyed the first day of seeing local patients in the dental clinic. They needed help, and they were so thankful for it." Quinn Smith

"The gratitude that the people of Red Bank showed for our services in the dental clinic is overwhelming. I don't think they realize that we get as much if not more from the experience. These people have truly changed my life." Krysta

"The unconditional hospitality of the villagers of Red Bank have made me feel at home. I am happy to be able to provide essential services within their community." David

The personal gratification and personal experience of today was remarkable. Through working in the dental clinic and treating patients, to interviewing families and learing more about the people and the village, I feel I understand much more about the culture and population of Red Bank." Andrew

"The villagers are so happy to see the members of our team. It was really gratifying to be able to help them. The feeling amid Red Bank is one of progress and friendship. We appreciate their hospitality just as much as they appreciate our service and presence in Belize."

"We treated a lady today named Maria. She was our last patient of the day and probably the most difficult. Despite 45-60 minutes of having dental students crank on her teeth, she left with the most mysteriously kind look in her eyes....lovely lady. I was most shocked by how young they have children here and how many they have. The people here are happy, and do are we." Jennifer Wilson

"The village was very peaceful, one of the most relaxing places I've ever been." Armando

"The kids were amazing! They are so excited and happy....and grateful we were there. They have fun doing the simplest things. AND...I got to pull a tooth!! Very good day." Stephanie Hornsby

"I have to agree with Stephanie. The kids made my experience special today. while doing the profiles, I realized how incredibly humble these people are and how much they would benefit from just a little assistance from the outside." Amber Denman

"A very humbling experience to serve....(Freak I don't know what to say! Just say something for me.)" Tyson Perrero

*Today was a great experience. Everyone was so friendly. They welcomed us all in as if we were family." Erica HInton

"Red Bank. Three years here, and never once did I have the opportunity to go out into the village and talk with the people, see their homes, and share with them in a real way. Today, maybe, I was on the village profile team and got to do all those things. As always, it was amazing." Seth Ernstberger

"Since...today I had the experience of extracting my first tooth on a life patient (which is a rush for any freshman dental student). I was part of a meeting with the citizens of Independence which will improve their ability to help special needs children to receive the attention they need. Through everything I've seen over the past 48 hours, I am most impressed with the hospitality, kindness, and warmness of the citizens of Red Bank and Independence." Melvin Washington

"Incredible experience. Interdisciplinary focus helped students learn about other areas and how they relate to each other." Becky Clark

"Day one in Belize, day four of the trip. What a wild one this has been!! From 4:00 a.m. mornings to 12:00 am nights, this trip has been amazing . Running off of fumes, only the good people of Red Bank have given me the fuel to keep going. Thank you UofL for this experience!!!" OJ Oleka

"What an incredible experience! I am in love with the people of Belize. In the shot time that we have been here, I've seen and learned so much. Can't wait to share it all." Pam Simpson

"I'm in love with Belize! Four years ago, I did a project on it and fell in love with it just based on pictures. Now, a part of my heart is in Belize. The three day travel was worth it because good things come to those who wait, but Belize came to me which was something great. This place is proof that God exists. It is UnBelizeable." Socio

"The people of Red Bank are some of the most friendly and welcoming people that I have ever met. With the lack of resources, they have had to come up with creative solutions for everything from headache pain to carrying children that can't or won't walk. The sense of community here is like something that most people can only dream about. Luckily for us, this dream has become a reality." Tabitha Overstreet

" The people are welcoming, yet shy...they accepted us in their home and for an hour or so they engaged in a conversatin that was life giving...sacred space is what I felt. People at peace with the simply meaning of "true" human needs."

"No matter how poor or oppressed, children's kites fly on the winds of hope."

"Our students seem to have a great work ethic and work well without constant supervision." Dr. David Jones

"The commadarie on the trip must be experienced to be believed. What a hoot!" Tom Clark

No comments: