Monday, March 10, 2008

My Belize story so far... Definitely the best Spring Break ever! Part 1 - by Socio (Mike Oghia)

I was told many times that international travel is unpredictable. That has been an understatement

Alright everyone so here’s what’s happening with me and the group so far, it’s crazy! It all started on Friday. We (the International Service Learning trip to Belize) got to the airport at 4:30 AM… it’s snowing in Dallas. That’s bad, very bad. At like 5:15 AM we discover our 7:00 AM flight to Dallas-Ft. Worth is cancelled. So now 40 people, 50+ pieces of luggage, and a whole day is left in front of the American Airlines counter. The person going with us in chare of logistics, Cheryl Utz, goes into hyperdive and our man Sysco working the ticket counter begins a very long journey trying to get us to Belize, the whole time being really nice about it.

So one 12 person group gets scheduled to drive a rental car to Cincinnati and go to Huston then to Belize. Another group drove to Nashville to go to Miami then to Belize. Well, after about 5 hours we were told we have to come back tomorrow same time.

It’s 4 AM again on Saturday and I’m waking up still a little pissed off that it’s snowing still and that we couldn’t go yesterday. Well, at least my friend Jennifer brought me some pictures the day before to take down to them, so it wasn’t a huge waste. I have a small carryon and a backpack which is going to last me a week and I’m in shorts, a polo, and flip-flops when there’s about 5 inches of snow outside. So if you know me, you know that at least the flip-flop part isn’t really that different. We go to the airport, my group meets up again for the 6:30 flight crossing our fingers it isn’t cancelled for the weather. We get to check in at the Continental counter because American Airlines routed us there the day before, to go to Houston this time which is ironically a sunny 64 degrees… go through security and everything seems good. We arrive to the gate and sit there for a little bit then they tell us the plane’s delayed. That’s not a big surprise and at least it isn’t cancelled. While sitting around, OJ Oleka and I (who are the only 2 students left with Cheryl, Tom Jackson the VP of Student Affairs and 2 other faculty coming with us) meet up with this girl who goes to U. of L. whom I’ve seen before but never met. We all become friends and it’s just peachy. I also met a person that’s in class with me while there at the airport, how funny!

After waiting from 5:30 to 11 AM, and after the other group that had to go home got on a plane for Houston and left, they finally tell us that the flight has been cancelled. Damn that snow right? Wrong! Ironically it wasn’t even because of the snow that it was cancelled, the co-pilot didn’t show up so we couldn’t fly! What a slacker…

What are we going to do? We go back to the ticket area but we’re not too down. As Tom and Cheryl start to negotiate again, I run into a really good friend of mine, Kaitlyn Young and I finally get to meet her boyfriend who’s really cool! So we all get to hang out and catch up for a little bit because they’re flight got cancelled too but luckily was rescheduled.

Tom and Cheryl come back and they say, “lets go rent a car, we’re going to Chicago and then flying to Miami then Belize City!” Yes, that’s right, Chi-Town because that’s the closest place that has a flight anywhere near Belize which we can connect too without waiting until Monday… soooooo we go get a van, load up and head for the Windy City, stopping in Indy for some food. It’s not a bad drive at all and it was nice to be so flexible and spontaneous; it was very relaxing.

We finally arrive in Chicago, and that night we shack up in the Hilton that’s connected to the airport because we once again, had to be up at 4:00 AM and this time we were on Central time PLUS Daylight Saving time… our internal clocks were just messed up this morning. Let’s just say, I didn’t feel rich enough to stay at that place, but the beds were really comfy and American Airlines was paying for it and the rental van, so no worries!

We get up in the morning, go to the airport, get through everything and find out they bumped us up to First Class! It was pretty cool, although I think I still do prefer Coach honestly. I like to be in my element. So after an hour of sleep, complimentary breakfast and apple juice, and an entire time of a flight attendant that’s probably been driving longer than I’ve been alive flirting with me (she flirted with everyone, keep your pants on), I look out the window and I see the beach and the ocean! It was so nice and under us was beautiful Miami. South Beach, Feeling the Heat right?

So here I am now, it’s 12:41 PM EST, DST. I SHOULD have been on the beach on a little cay in Belize right now sunbathing with my feet in the sand listening to seagulls caw and the ocean gently splashing up on the beach. But no, I’m in the Miami airport, but it’s cool. I’m having a great time, we’re gonna be in Belize in a matter of hours (given our “third time’s a charm” luck still happens), I’ve gotten to know OJ, and all the people in our group so much better, I’ve been all over the mid west now, AND just remember: good things come to those who wait. Everything happens for a reason, and the best part is looking forward to what is going to come!

Let's see what else fate has in store for us… I can’t wait!

No comments: